TAP Air Portugal has announced that the airline is set to launch its first ever onboard film festival.

‘The Altitude Film Fest’ will celebrate the world of cinema and aims to provide a unique experience for the airline’s passengers, allowing them to enjoy an exclusive selection of films described as a ‘new dimension of entertainment’ at 30,000ft. The film festival will also aim to promote Portugal, its culture and traditions.

The film festival gives filmmakers from all corners of the world the chance to compete in two categories, documentary and fiction short film.

For the two film categories, the airline will appoint a panel of judges made up of a distinguished group of personalities linked to the world of cinema. This panel will then select the ten finalist films, they will then be voted on by TAP passengers on the airlines in-flight entertainment system from October 2024.

The winners will then be selected in two separate stages, 40% will be awarded by the festival’s official jury and the remaining 60% will be awarded by the vote from passengers.

The winners of the Altitude film festival will be awarded at a ceremony held on world cinema day, November 5, 2024 in Lisbon. The two recipients of the best documentary and short fiction film will be awarded a travel grant of three thousand euros each.

Registration for the festival is free, with applications closing on June 30, 2024. The films submitted must focus on Portuguese culture and/or part of the film must be shot in Portugal.